Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Wisdom from The Word - Proverbs 9


As part of our bible study (online through Proverbs 31...go check it out at proverbs31.org/online-bible-studies/) we were instructed to read Proverbs 9.  I had never read this particular chapter of Proverbs so I had no idea what to expect but I find it amazing how God always finds a way to communicate with me even when I am not looking for or expecting it.

In this chapter, there is reference to scoffers or those who mock.  I recently had an experience with said scoffers and wish I had had this gem of wisdom when faced with that experience.

I am quoting The Message here because many times that is the version it takes for me to finally understand what is being spoken:

"If you reason with an arrogant cynic, you’ll get slapped in the face;
confront bad behavior and get a kick in the shins.
So don’t waste your time on a scoffer;
all you’ll get for your pains is abuse.
But if you correct those who care about life,
that’s different—they’ll love you for it!
Save your breath for the wise—they’ll be wiser for it;
tell good people what you know—they’ll profit from it."
-Proverbs 9:7-9

There is the wisdom...now back to my story about scoffers.

I recently had some girlfriends over for a girly crafting day and a recent post I had made on social media about a pledge drive our Christian Radio station as having was brought up in the conversation. The girls seemed to think it was hilarious to poke fun at me about my choice to join the drive and fund "Jesus Music".  In fact, the entire idea of a Christian Radio station existing with its "Jesus Music" was hilarious to them.

I spent a few minutes trying to explain myself and why it was more than just a pledge drive to fund Christian Music (they were also giving away winter coats to children in need with pledges).  The more I tried to reason and explain the more I found my feelings being hurt.  Who wants to sit and watch something they hold highly important be made a mockery of.  They were not only insulting my choice of radio station but my beliefs and choices, the making of who I am and what I believe, in my own home!

It finally came to me that I was getting no where but hurt and that no explanation would convince these two of the truth so I simply stated, "I would appreciate it if you would respect me and my choices in my home".  That's all it took. The mockery ended and we were able to go about our business in peace.

Now that I have read Proverbs 9, I see that this situation could have been much easier for me. Though I felt it was important to stand up for my choices and beliefs in this moment I now see that it did me no good and only caused me pain just as the verse suggested it would.

I feel that as Christians, many times we feel as though we are led to try and convince everyone of everything we believe no matter how resistant they are to hearing it.   I think that in this instance, I had already done what I needed to do, post about the pledge drive...clearly it had caught their attention, but then I went to far by trying to defend when they did not agree.

In the future I will continue to plant seeds but will not try and combat scoffers as I learned it only brings unneeded pain and abuse.  If only this was last weeks reading instead of this weeks.  This is why I feel bible study is so important and I am so happy for the opportunity to participate in the study through Proverbs 31!





No comments:

Post a Comment